This post forms part of a synchroblog, “Emerging Heresy”. For other contributors, see below.
A nanoplay in 8 acts.
- Someone has a “revelation”: enter the prophet / shaman / seer/ discoverer/ inventor/ author/ entrepreneur.
- A community forms around the revelation: enter the evangelist / apostle / articulator / raconteur.
- The community grows and becomes a politic, which needs to be organised: enter the pastor / priest / curate/ administrator / coordinator.
- Part of this organisation is to describe the doctrine of the group: enter the scribe / theoretician / expert.
- These laws become reinforced in the consciousness of the group, as an empire grows: enter the teacher / policy maker / marketeer / spin doctor / taste maker.
- Someone has a revelation, as a critic of this consciousness, or just because truth is always emerging: re-enter the prophet / shaman stage left. But simultaneously something else happens:
- The judge / inquisitor / policeman comes on stage right. A trial begins. Outcome:
- The new revelation is accepted and the group reforms and adjusts its doctrine and practice.
- If that revelation is contrary to the groups current doctrine (conscious/overt laws) or ethos (unconscious mores and taboos), enter the executioner, announce the new revelation as heresy, and the prophet/shaman as heretic, excommunicate the prophet, demonise the revelation, and begin the inevitable demise of the empire.
Contributors to the synchroblog
- Aratus – The Gender of the Creator and Face forward
- Cobusvw – Conversing with the heretics
- FakeExpressionsOfTheUnknown Who’s Heresy
- Liquid Light – Coming out a heretic emerges
- Mike Smith – Emerging Heresy
- Nic Paton – The Life Cycle of Heresy and The Blessings of Heresy
- Roger Saner Towards a heretical orthodoxy
- Ryan Peters – Calling the “H” word and dropping the “H” bomb
- Steve Hayes Cult
- Tim Victor – Confessions of a heretic